Monday, July 28, 2014

Monday Made It- Daily Five and Burlap


     Hey there!  This week's post is actually a combination of some things I've worked on over the last couple of weeks because in reality, I spent the past week helping my parents **begin** to go through, sort, and pack up their house after living their for 20 years.  It's bittersweet as that's the house I pretty much grew up in.

     I've got a mix of things I've made for home and for school this week.

      For school, I had a request to make a Daily Five matching set to go with the Coffee Shop Daily Cafe pack I already have in my TPT store.  That pack includes headings and strategy cards for all of the components of CAFE- comprehension, accuracy, fluency, and expand vocabulary.  In my classroom, I used these like an anchor chart for my students to refer to after each strategy was introduced.  They loved it! It's a play on the CAFE menu metaphor and it really helped my first graders understand what the CAFE menu was because they could compare it to a menu like when they go to a coffee shop or restaurant with their parents. They understood that they could use it as readers like a menu to choose a strategy to try out.
You can click on the pic to check it out.
     So, I created this new Coffee Shop Daily Five Pack.  The Daily Five has some great ideas for how to launch the school year and help build independence in your students.  The Coffee Shop Daily Five pack includes all the basics you need to launch any or all of the Daily Five routines, with cute coffee shop graphics.  Here are a few sample pictures from the pack.  Click on any of the pics below to check it out.

     I also bundled The Daily Five and Cafe packs together so you can purchase them in one large file at a discount.  Check that out here or by clicking on the pictures below.


     For home, I got out some burlap and made a few lot of burlap flowers to embellish two plain white lampshades I have in our family room.  I read a few tutorials on Pinterest and then just tried a couple of different methods until I got something that I liked.

     For each flower, I used:
  • about a 2 inch white circle of felt 
  • a strip of burlap- 
    • I found that a little wider strip worked better- about 2 3/4 inches wide. 
  • hot glue 
     First I glued down a corner of the burlap in the center of the felt circle.  Then, I folded the strip in half and just began turning it around the circle, putting dabs of glue as I went.  Every so often, I would fold the burlap over and glue it down.  I ended up with something like the this-

    Finally, I glued all of the flowers to the bottom of the lampshade with hot glue.

     I still need to find some rhinestones or something sparkly for the middle of the flowers, but it's much less plain already. :)

     Hope you have a very Happy Monday!


No comments:

Post a Comment