Monday, July 14, 2014

Burlap Banners Monday Made It!

      I'm baaaaack! So, I know I haven't blogged in almost a year (yikes) but I am getting back on track and am so excited to continue as a I begin a new role this coming school year.  Last year, I moved half way across the country, taught a different grade level, bought a house, began updating the house, etc.  It was a busy time.  This year, I will be the literacy instructional coach/reading teacher for our primary grade levels.  I am so pumped to be able to work with the primary grades in such a focused way.  So, please stick with me as I begin yet another new journey.  Oh....I almost forgot.  My time away from the blog also included a trip to Hawaii to kick off my summer break. :) Ah. maze.  ing.

Me at a memorial site for a tidal wave.  The turquoise water was so beautiful.

        Alright, so something you may not know about me is that I have a slight obsession with burlap.  Not because it's trendy, but because it's natural and airy.  I have made a few burlap banners for different holidays to decorate around the house, but I wanted to make one for my new room at school.  To fit my new role, I made a "Read" banner in my favorite color. Although it fits my color scheme, I won't leave it on my mantel. ;)


     It's hard to tell in the pic but I added glitter to the polka dots.  Here's a quick recap of how I did it:

  • I cut out a template for the banner pieces with my Silhouette Cameo.  Then I traced it onto my burlap and cut out 6 of them.
  • I painted the banner pieces with acrylic paint.  This also helps to seal it so it doesn't continue to fray.  The color is called "Caribbean."  It reminds me of Hawaii- which I know is not in the Caribbean, but you get the idea. :) 
  • Next, I cut out letters using my Cameo again so I could stencil them on.
  • Once the aqua was dry, I used the hot glue gun to attach them to the twine.  I left a foot on each end to hang it from.
  • I cut off any remaining fringe pieces.  Then, I stenciled on the word 'read' using white acrylic paint and my card stock stencils from the Cameo.
  • I used a circle foam brush for the polka dots.
  • When the dots were still wet, I added glitter.  


    Without drying time, it took me a little over an hour to finish.  Stay tuned to where it ends up in my room as I begin to organize and put it together.  Happy Monday!



-Jenny

2 comments: